Health

Having HPV ‘isn’t rude or shameful’

[ad_1] Image copyright Claire Bolton Image caption Claire wants to raise awareness about HPV and cervical cancer Having human papilloma virus (HPV) is not rude or shameful and is extremely common, experts say. It comes as a survey of 2,000 women shows there are still stigmas around the infection, which can be passed on during sex and is linked to cancer. Charities are concerned this could put women off getting
Health

Cervical cancer victim: ‘I’m going to die’

[ad_1] The bereaved family of a nurse repeatedly given the all-clear for cervical cancer say she wanted "nobody else to suffer as she had".Julie O'Connor, 49, died on 4 February, after her condition was missed at Bristol's Southmead Hospital. North Bristol NHS said it would review the case.A video of Mrs O'Connor in hospital shows her condition days before she died. [ad_2] Source link
Health

Fear wrong metal plates used to fix fractures

[ad_1] Image copyright Getty Images The wrong metal plates may have been inserted into patients who have broken bones, the NHS has admitted.Hospitals have been asked to review the X-rays of patients treated with metal plates for the fracture of long bones, such as arms and legs, in the past year.Patients at one trust had a flexible plate meant for reconstruction inserted instead of a rigid one for fractures.NHS Improvement
Health

Birmingham family’s ‘nightmare’ over £200k medical bill

[ad_1] Image copyright Family handout Image caption The family of Maxine Howell said they are living in a 'nightmare' The family of a seriously ill woman in Mexico have said they are living a "nightmare" as her £200,000 medical bills are not covered by insurance.Maxine Howell, from West Bromwich, celebrated her 50th birthday in Cancun but days later she was struck down by pneumonia and bronchiolitis.Her family said Axa would
Health

Holyrood committee begins Scottish hospital safety inquiry

[ad_1] Image copyright Getty Images Image caption Two patients died after contracting an infection linked to pigeon droppings at he Queen Elizabeth University Hospital A Holyrood committee is to examine hospital safety following the deaths of two patients from an infection linked to pigeon droppings.The health committee inquiry comes in the wake of the deaths at Glasgow's Queen Elizabeth University Hospital.The patients died after contracting a fungal infection linked to
Health

Hyponatraemia deaths: Nursing decision under review

[ad_1] Image copyright PAcemaker Image caption Nine-year-old Raychel Ferguson died in hospital in 2001 A regulatory body is reviewing its decision not to take further action against nurses involved in the care of a Londonderry girl who died of hyponatraemia.The death of schoolgirl Raychel Ferguson was found to be avoidable.The Nursing and Midwifery Council (NMC) originally told Raychel's mother Marie Ferguson that the failings had been addressed.In 2018, it said
Health

Lyme disease can be diagnosed by ‘bull’s eye’ rash alone

[ad_1] Image copyright CDC Image caption The rash is raised around the edges Lyme disease can be diagnosed by the rash alone, new advice for the NHS says.People with the "bull's eye" circular rash do not need a blood test and should be treated immediately to avoid complications, the National Institute for Health and Care Excellence says. Waiting for lab results is unnecessary and can cause delays in patients being
Health

Smoking in pregnancy: Stigma ’causes women to do it in private’

[ad_1] Image copyright Getty Images Image caption The number of women smoking at their first assessment rose to 21.1% in 2017-18 Mothers-to-be who smoke or drink could be hiding their habits in private - because of negative reactions, a study has found. Pregnant women told Cardiff University researchers they felt "irritated and alienated" by people if they smoke or drank in public.According to the latest figures, 21% of women in
Health

Teen kickboxer Scott Marsden’s death ‘tragic fluke’

[ad_1] Image caption Scott Marsden went to Forge Valley School and the head teacher said he was "very popular" and had a "bright sporting future" A 14-year-old kickboxer died when a blow to his chest caused cardiac arrest in a rare medical "fluke", an inquest has heard.Scott Marsden, from Sheffield, collapsed during a kickboxing bout in Leeds in March 2017.Wakefield Coroner's Court heard he died from a rare disruption of
Health

Partner of man who killed himself calls for mental health review

[ad_1] Image copyright Karen McKeown Image caption Luke Henderson was hallucinating and hearing voices before his death in December 2017, his partner claims A Lanarkshire woman said her partner took his own life after asking for medical help eight times in the week leading up to his death. Karen McKeown claimed hospital staff dismissed concerns about Luke Henderson's mental state shortly before he killed himself. Now she is calling for